Friday, November 20, 2009

"I'm part of a dying breed- the housewife." -Debra, Everybody Loves Raymond

After almost a week at Vance, we've adjusted from enjoying dinners at my parents' house to cooking our own meals. We've kept the first meals simple but delicious. Working in a tiny kitchen takes some getting used to, but I've managed to avoid catching anything on fire. However, our smoke detector did go off twice when I fried hamburgers the other night since there is not a fan in the kitchen and the ceiling is low. (Note to self: use non-stick pan next time and keep the windows open!) After that adventure in the kitchen, we made some delicious brownies to make the room smell like chocolate instead of hamburgers.

Another thing that takes adjusting is the idea of not working outside of the home for awhile. Although I will be putting my Saint Mary’s education to good use within a year (or possibly sooner), I’m taking time to develop my cooking skills, keeping my home nice and tidy and getting ready for our beautiful baby to arrive. I was fortunate enough to watch my mom perform her duties as housewife for the last 22 years so I know this is no easy task. I only hope that I can be as half as good as she is! Her ability to coordinate schedules, get delicious meals on the table every night and maintain her sanity while raising four children and not killing a crazy dog is extraordinary. Luckily, like her I have a wonderful husband who is very supportive and helpful. 

If anyone has good recipes they’d like to share- let me know! I’d love to try some new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment