Friday, July 16, 2010

A bit of the west coast in the southwest...

My friends introduced me to one of the hidden gems of our area about a month ago. It's just south of Enid in a little town called Waukomis, and it's called "A Taste of Seattle." From the outside, it doesn't look like much- a small brick building with a gravel parking lot for about 15 cars or so, but once you get inside and sample their fare, you know you've found something special. They sell gelato and sorbetto which they make fresh everyday. For those who haven't had gelato, think of ice cream and make it smoother than any ice cream you've ever eaten. Sorbetto is like a very smooth italian ice but better. I haven't found a flavor that I don't like yet and there are still many left to sample!

I took Daniel a few weeks ago and we've made weekly gelato trips since! We took a list of their flavors since the menu changes depending on the day of the week and Daniel starred the ones he'd like to try if I ever go with the girls and bring him back a cup. By far, my favorites are the mixed berry and strawberry sorbettos, but the kiwi and raspberry sorbettos are good, too. As far as gelato goes, I really like the combination of the peanut butter and chocolate.

The store owners come from a long, proud line of military service people and kindly offer a 10% military discount. I only had to show my ID card once- the second time I pulled it out and said "We're military" the woman behind the counter smiled and said "I know." It's wonderful having a place where you're considered a regular after only a couple of visits. They encourage you to try everything and give out free samples while you're contemplating what you'll put in your cup- there's no limit to how many flavors you want to squeeze in there, you just pay by the size you want.

Here's a picture of my friend Allison's 2 year old, Riley, after she enjoyed her chocolate gelato!



No comments:

Post a Comment