Sunday, February 5, 2012

Trial and Error... The Risks of Pinterest

So far my Pinterest finds have resulted in more successes than failures in several areas- recipes, organization tips, hair styles, crafts and lots of fun with Anna. However, it doesn't have a perfect record. But that's how you learn, right? Try something new and see if it works for you!

Here are some of my favorite "wins"-
  • Box O' Princesses / Boyville: I loved tapping into my creative side with these projects. They were Christmas gifts for 2 of my cousins and they loved them.

    Here's Lilly with her princesses!
    Ariel, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Jasmine, Belle, Tiana and Rapunzel
  • Up do's: I have found several wonderful hairstyles that are very elegant but are very simple to do. One is a half up look that is now my go-to hair style if my hair doesn't want to cooperate. The 2 others are up do's which are great for everyday chic and keep my hair out of my face. I've decided to use the simple Gibson tuck (below) for when Baby P arrives instead of a ponytail because it's easier to lay back with it.
  • Cloud Dough: This is the latest of several things that I've made for Anna. It's 8 cups of flour & 1 cup of baby oil. It stays flour consistency until you squish it then it becomes moldable into shapes like playdough.
  • Cinnamon Rolls: Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy! is really all I can say. OK, perhaps I can say a little bit more. Despite being a little difficult to roll out, the recipe was straightforward and didn't require any yeast so I didn't need to wait for any 'rising' to happen. The cream cheese frosting recipe that came with it was also very good!
And some less than successful things I've tried:
  • Homemade fingerpaints: While they were lots of fun, they are perishable! They grew mold after a few days even though they were stored in airtight containers. I'll definitely make them again, but plan to make a smaller batch or have Anna's friends over to help use it up!
  • Marble cookies: The marbling was a success, the cookies were bleh.... way too dry and not chocolatey enough. They were supposed to be peanut butter chocolate cookies. The marbling technique was a mess but I eventually got it to work, but that is the only redeeming thing about the cookies.
  • Bantu Knot Out Curls: The idea is to twist your wet hair into sections and secure with a pony tail holder. When it dries, it will be curly or wavey depending on how many sections you did. I did it to see if it would make my hair curlier than a sock bun which has been pretty successful. And while the curls were a bit curlier, it was really uncomfortable to sleep in! Definitely off my list for hairstyles during third trimester- I have enough trouble sleeping already!
So there they are, some wins and losses of my Pinterest attempts. I have lots more to try and I'll be posting more about them as I get to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment